ABEOKUTA LODGE - NO. 7764 (1961)
For a long time, the need for a Lodge at Abeokuta had become obvious and in 1960, a petition to form such a Lodge was signed by seventeen (17) members. First and foremost amongst the Founders was H.R.H. Sir Ladapo Ademola II KBE, CMG, PDSGW, the Alake of Abeokuta. The petition was sponsored by Eureka Lodge No. 6222 EC. The Warrant to found the Lodge was issued on Wednesday 8th February, 1961 and the Consecration took place at the Masonic Temple, 128, Sokenu Road Ijaiye. Abeokuta on Saturday the 22nd day of July, 1961, by the District Grand Master for Nigeria, Justice Lionel Brett, assisted by the Deputy District Grand Master, the District Grand Chaplain, Dr. Kwao Sagoe, and other Consecration Officers.
The objectives of the petitioners were: to Spread the Light of freemasonry; to establish more Lodges in the District of Nigeria and as there are English Lodges in Lagos which was the Federal Capital and Ibadan the Western Nigeria Capital, it necessarily became necessary that a Lodge be formed in Abeokuta which is the cradle of Education and Christianity in Nigeria.
The Chartered Master of the Lodge was Chief Adekunle A. Coker, the first Senior Warden was G.E.V. Samuels PDSGW; and the first Junior Warden was J.B. Folarin PDGSt B.
As at December 2012, a total of forty-eight (48) Masters had been installed in the Lodge. The Lodge has also initiated a total of One hundred and twenty-seven (127) Candidates, the first being the late Owolabi Kolawole, initiated on Saturday 14th day of October, 1961.
The Lodge has also attracted a total of sixty-three (63) Joining Members from this and Sister Constitutions as shown in the list attached.
As a result of notice to quit by the owners of the temporary meeting place at Ijaiye, Abeokuta, on 31st May, 1975, two steps were taken immediately: A Building Committee under the Chairmanship of Fredrick Olaseni Fisher was set up to deliberate and find the convenient method to raise fund to build a befitting Temple. Secondly, the Lodge resolved to move temporarily from its domain in Abeokuta to Lagos between 1975 and 1981.
The Lodge moved to her present Lishabi Masonic hall, 4, Aiyetoro Road, Lafenwa Abeokuta in the year 1981. Abeokuta Lodge has recorded a lot of success in her fifty-one years of existence and is currently a strong pillar of support and service to the District Grand Lodge of Nigeria EC. It has produced several District and Grand Officers.
It had produced six (6) Grand Officers amongst who is the first Very Worshipful Brother in the ninety-nine (99) years of freemasonry in Nigeria in the person of Babatunde Johnson PGSwdBr IPDDGM, PDGSec; Past President of the District Board of General Purposes, an accomplished Engineer and a very brilliant and courageous Mason and mentor.
The Lodge has also produced Three (3) Presidents of District Board of General Purposes; One (1) Deputy District Grand Master; One (1) District Grand Secretary; Three (3) Assistant District Grand Masters; Two (2) District Assistant General Secretaries and Forty-three (43) District Grand Officers.
Abeokuta Lodge has given birth to all organs of Freemasonry like:-
1. Abeokuta Royal Arch Chapter NO 7764EC
2. Rock of Nigeria Chapter No. 1016EC
3. Abeokuta Mark Master Masons Lodge No 18550EC
4. Abeokuta Royal Arch Mariner Lodge No 1850
Abeokuta Lodge is blessed with six (6) Masonic Families, the highest so far in the District Grand Lodge of Nigeria EC. They are:-
1. Late Dr. Chief I.B. Ogun PDSGW, PZ whose son Chief Isaac Bandele Ogun PAGDA, PDSGW, PZ was the first Initiate of Ikeja Lodge. They both joined Abeokuta Lodge on 10th September, 1983.
2. Late E.O Johnson ‘JP’ PDDGDC; PZ installed Master of the Lodge in 1969, had his son Babatunde Johnson PGSwdB, PDDGM, PZ initiated on 10 July, 1982; installed Master of the Lodge in 1994 and served the District in many capacities as PGDSec; PADGM PDDGM.
3. Late G.E.V. Samuels PDSGW PZ installed Master of the Lodge in 1962. His son E.O.N Samuels PDGChap was initiated in Traveller’s Lodge and later joined Abeokuta Lodge on 9th November, 1985. He was installed Master of the Lodge in the year 2010.
4. Chief W.A. Akinfenwa, initiated in the Lodge on the 9th September 1989 and installed Master in the year 1998 had his sons initiated as follows:-
(i) Akeem A. Akinfenwa DGST.B, initiated on 9th March, 1991 and was installed as Master in the year 2007.
(ii) Yusuf. A. Akinfenwa, initiated on 13th September 2008, is currently the Senior Deacon of the Lodge.
(iii) B.J. Akinfenwa, initiated on 8th November, 2008, is currently the JD of the Lodge. Altogether a Masonic family of four(4).
5. High Chief J.O. Ogbonna, initiated on 14th May, 1994 and installed Master in the year 2003, had his sons initiated as follows:-
(i) K.O. Ogbonna DJGS initiated on 8th March, 2003 and was installed Master in the year 2009.
(ii) Ikenna E. Ogbonna initiated on 11th March, 2006 is currently the Chaplain of the Lodge.
(iii) U.C. Ogbonna, initiated on 10th March, 2007 and was installed Master in the year 2012.
(iv) Ogbonna initiated on 8th March, 2008, was appointed Junior Deacon in 2011 and currently studying in UK.
Altogether, the Ogbonnas is a Masonic family of five (5).
6. High Chief G.O. Osoba PDAGDC initiated on 10th July, 1999 was installed Master in 2008 and had his son Kolawole Amevi Osoba initiated on 12th July, 2008. He was appointed Assistant Secretary in 2010 and currently studying in the U.K.
Abeokuta Lodge celebrated her Golden Jubilee (50 years) on Saturday 14 July, 2011, amongst the activities of the day was the laying of Foundation Stone of her own Temple named ABEOKUTA MASONIC HALL. Work is in progress at the site.
Abeokuta Lodge has been blessed with many Masonic Luminaries. Foremost amongst whom are;-
1. Fredrick Olaseni Fisher PDSGW, PZ
2. Sir Oba Ladapo Ademola KBE, CMG, PDSGW Alake of Abeokuta.
3. Chief Dr. O.B. Alakija PG Std. Br. PADGM, PZ
4. Chief Nathaniel Olanipekun A. Akinyemi MFR, JP, PDSGW, PZ
5. Chief B.A. Adesola PGStd Br, PDSGW PZ
6. Chief Isaac Bandele Ogun PAGDC, PDSGW PZ
7. Babatunde Johnson PGSwd Br, PDDGM, PZ
8. Chief Michael A.B. Akiyemi PDSGW PZ
9. Chief Dr. J.O. Ogbonna DG Almoner PZ
Lodge Venue and Meeting Days
Abeokuta Lodge meets on the second Saturday of odd months.
Installation in January.
Time: 12 noon
Masonic Hall, Ayetoro Road,
Lafenwa, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Mail: P.O. Box 229, Marina, Lagos.