On April 7th 1906, St. George’s Lodge No. 3065 accepted the offer of His Excellency the Governor for a plot of land on Broad Street on a 99-year lease, exempt from rates and taxes.
On the 5th January 1907, the lodge was opened at 3:40 p.m. called off at 4pm, and proceeded to lay the foundation stone of the new temple. The lodge was called on again at 6:35p.m and proceeded to confer the 2nd degree on two candidates. The lodge was closed at 7:55 pm.
On the 4th of May 1907, it was unanimously agreed to name the new Masonic Hall “St. George’s Hall” and a month later, on the 29th of June a resolution was passed to move the present place of meetings to St. George’s Hall. The first meeting was held on July 6th, 1907.
In 1985, the Lodge signed an MOU with the District Grand Lodge of Nigeria giving the District the right to renew the lease.
St. George’s Hall, is the center of Freemasonry (English Constitution) in Nigeria, although the building was the property of St.George’s Lodge (but now belongs to The District Grand Lodge of Nigeria English Constitution. It is here that the District of Nigeria English Constitution has its Headquarters.
The building is designed to be of two storeys, the ground floor being intended for use as a Banqueting Hall or as a place for Public Entertainment, while the upper floor is to be reserved for purely Masonic purposes. The building also consists of Office rooms, Committee room, Cloak rooms, Library and Kitchens.
In his “West African Masonic Almanac and Handbook” published in 1920 W.Bro Gibson wrote as follows:-
“The best Masonic Hall on the coast is St. George’s Lagos. It is admirably suited for Masonic business by reason of its upper storey. It is lit entirely by electricity and is properly ventilated with electric fans. It is practically now used by all the Lodges in Lagos on rental basis, and it’s architectural beauty adds such a touch of grandeur to the magnificence of Broad Street with its pompous building as bespeaks a rising city”